Paladin’s purpose is to create value for its shareholders. In pursuit of this goal, the Company recognises that encompassing economic, environmental and social values are all important components of corporate success. Paladin stakeholders expect their Company to be a good corporate citizen, with fair and beneficial business practices focused on: operating to the highest ethical standards; contributing to the growth and prosperity of host countries and responding positively to community needs. Paladin’s approach to Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) – as with its commitment to sustainability – involves:
- Top-level support of the Board of Directors and Managing Director/CEO.
- Adherence to principles enunciated in Corporate Policy and Procedures.
- Programmes aligned with host country Millennium Development Goals.
- Personnel dedicated to achieving CSR objectives.
- Compliance with recognised international codes of conduct.
- Acknowledgement of voluntary standards.
- Reporting in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative.
Paladin seeks to achieve these objectives by example, both through its own actions and by its active participation in industry and community-based organisations that foster and promote these values and aspirations. Below is a summary of the organisations in which the Company participates:
- Paladin played an instrumental role in establishing the Australia-Africa Mining Industry Group (AAMIG) – an industry body that promotes best practice in CSR among Australian mining companies active in Africa. Paladin supports AAMIG in promoting best practice in CSR in Africa and is seeking to ensure compliance in its own endeavours.